Saturday, December 24, 2011

Hark The Herald Angels Sing

This is truly one of my favorite Christmas carols. Penned by Charles Wesley, it is a hymn I could sing over and over again!

If the human race were "all the Whos down in Whoville" and the Grinch was (well, you know who), I'd believe this is what we'd sing on Christmas morning! The only gift we need is Christ  - given to us on Christmas Day - and he's the only gift that can't be taken from us.

The inspiration for this particular recording (and subsequent project) came from a piano book my mother purchased for my daughter years ago - a duet book I'm sure she hoped my daughter (who had just started taking piano lessons at the time) and I (as a pianist) would enjoy together. In the intervening years, after receiving the book, my mother had a stroke and due to her inability to travel was never able to hear my daughter & I play from it. Well, this year, my daughter and I made a project of recording these Christmas Carol duets to share with her. This way, through the miracle of computers (since they don't have a piano), we could share the joy of this music with grandma and grandpa when visiting for Christmas. And, we wanted to share it with you, too!

This is not an instrumental arrangement as much as it is a simple (played with an organ at full blast  - as this piece should be!) traditional rendering of the familiar Christmas carol that you can use as a sing-along accompaniment. So, crank up the volume and sing out! That's why we recorded it! (Lyrics below.)






Hark! the herald angels sing
"Glory to the newborn King
Peace on earth and mercy mild,
God and sinners reconciled!"
Joyful, all ye nations rise;
Join the triumph of the skies;
With angelic host proclaim
"Christ is born in Bethlehem!"
Hark! the herald angels sing
"Glory to the newborn King!"

Christ, by highest heaven adored;
Christ the everlasting Lord;
Late in time behold Him come,
Offspring of the favored one.
Veiled in flesh, the Godhead see;
Hail the incarnate Deity
Pleased as man with men to dwell,
Jesus, our Emmanuel
Hark! the herald angels sing,
"Glory to the newborn King"

Hail! the heaven-born Prince of Peace!
Hail! the Son of Righteousness!
Light and life to all He brings,
Risen with healing in His wings.
Mild He lays His glory by,
Born that man no more may die;
Born to raise the sons of earth,
Born to give them second birth
Hark! the herald angels sing,
"Glory to the newborn King"


For more Christmas Carol Sing-Along arrangements see the Christmas Carol page here

No comments:

Post a Comment