Monday, December 19, 2011

A Child Is Born In Bethlehem



(A traditional Danish melody)


I can't even begin to tell you how much joy playing this piece gives me!  It's a little raucous, I suppose, because the joy of the announcement is almost impossible to contain. It is such a beautiful arrangement and evokes the sheer joy of the moment. To me, it can't have enough brightness, enough strings, enough joy! 


Hallelujah! A Child is Born in Bethlehem! 
And, nothing is the same....


The piano "noodling" in the middle is my favorite part.... If you were to sing this piece, this is where you'd just rest your voice and let the piano take over... Close your eyes. It evokes this just pure ecstasy that must soar and sort of revel in the movement of the chords..... Once I added the string setting, it just brought tears to my eyes.... I didn't know it could get even better...and then, it did. 


In order to be able to play the middle "noodling" section, because I take it at such a break-neck speed, and I'm no longer a facile young musician (!), I just have to shut my eyes and feel it. Then, let 'er rip! It's so heavenly to play!!!!  I hope you hear that.  


This brings me as close to Christ as I dare to be while on this earth.... That, to me, is truly, the gift of music....  Thank you, Michael Scott for this arrangement!


(And no, the left hand never changes! Isn't that lovely!!!?!)

Fra Angelico 
Lyrics

A child is born in Bethlehem, 
In Bethlehem;
And joy is in Jerusalem,
Alleluia,  alleluia!

A lonely maiden all alone,
So all alone;
Gave birth to God's only Holy Son,
Alleluia, alleluia!

She chose a manger for his bed,
For Jesus' bed;
God's angels sang for joy o'erhead,
Alleluia, alleluia!

Give thanks and praise eternally,
Eternally;
To God the Holy Trinity,
Alleluia, alleluia!




Note: This compilation by Michael Scott (Celebrate the Seasons) is now out of print, sadly. But, I did find a link to this particular piece which can be purchased, here

No comments:

Post a Comment